Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Where I was, and why it's important

I'm usually on my laptop about 8 - 10 hours a day. Last week I went to a couple of doctor appointments, and yesterday I had another. I get to travel 125 miles to the VA hospital, fun trip. Last week I had a mammogram and afterwards, they not only called me, they called my mom to get ahold of me. There was a "spot" on the mammogram that shouldn't have been there. So, they scheduled me for some alternate views and an ultrasound . The next day I had a colonoscopy, and they removed 3 polyps. My father passed away from colon cancer at the age of 53, I've had benign polyps before, and so has my sister. Still waiting for the biopsy. Fast forward to yesterday, where I got excellent treatment at the Breast Health Institute at Sanford Hospital in Sioux Falls, SD. They showed me the scans, they answered every question, squished me 5 more times, ultrasounded me, consulted the doctor twice, then he came in and ultrasounded me. Result : 2 benign and harmless cysts requiring no treatment.

SO : If you are told by your doctor that you need a colonoscopy, get one. The preparation is gross and nasty, but it can save your life. If they tell you to get a mammogram, get one. It's a little strange seeing yourself be squished into a pancake, but it can save your life. If you don't have health insurance or cannot afford these tests, and you need to have them done, ask for ways to have them done at a lower cost or free. IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE !

We now return you to StampinOnThePrairie.............

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

darn good advise. I am glad I do live here in Canada with universal health care (even if wait times can be long). My doctor sends me every year, even though I believe every 2 years is now recommended.